Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Heart for Parker




On June 9, at 5:00 p.m. Sheila and Jordan received a call saying there would be a heart. They were just pulling in to our driveway. She called me histerically. I was just trading them places and pulling in to Primary Children's hospital parking lot. I thought it was Kami wrecking the truck because I couldn't understand the hystericalness and Kami had just left with a load of furniture with Teri for Panguitch. But I heard, "We got a heart" As soon as the car was parked I booked it for Parker's room, taking the stairs two at a time. Running to Parker, I hugged and kissed him and cried as if my heart would break. The PICU nurses and RT's were also crying. Molly, the nurse, comforted me, in a special way she said that Parker was receiving a great gift from someone whose child had died. They could not use the heart they were giving, but we could. As this breaks my heart, I look at Parker and feel so sad, because I know how I would feel if I lost Parker or any of my grandchildren or children. I just couldn't do it. Their baby was 8 months old, that is about all we know. Sheila and Jordan arrived with Alexis about 40 minutes later. It was arranged for Dean and Travis to come to give him a blessing. Crystal and her children also came up. Wearing masks and washing up we all went in to Parker. He was looking at everyone with his big eyes and wondering what was happening. One and 1/2 months before, Dean had given him a blessing referring to him to be able to withstand the pain of the IV's and throwing up and all he was going through and felt June 10th going through his mind the entire blessing. He couldn't shake the feeling, but did not say it in the blessing because it felt too final, but he did share it with me, Sheila and Jordan, his Dad and Mom. This blessing was a confirmation of what was right for Parker. They took him away about 10:30. His big eyes, and blowing kisses, giving knuckles, he did look a little worried when they took him from his Mommy. The Anethesiologist was making kitty sounds and saying where's the kitty to distract him. They opened his chest before the heart arrived. 30 minutes before they had him on bypass, Kami and Alisa arrived at 12:00 a.m. Alisa was at the ranch waiting for Kami to get there. The phones were down in Panguitch, someone had cut the fiberoptics and I could not reach her, or Mike or Neucile. Even cell phones were out. But at 5:00 she had decided to walk up the road to where there was cell phone service and got the call from Sheila, another miracle, the Parker would get the heart. She met Kami in Beaver and they left the truck there, got in the hybrid and headed back for home. The heart arrived at 1:30 a.m. June 10th. At 4:45 a.m. his new heart started beating. At 7:30, they came in a said it was a success, our little boy was whole. We got to take a peak at him, came home, and got some sleep, some of us, and wait for a big week of recovery. He has gone up and down, he is swollen with fluids, feverish, but ice cold, but there is no sign of rejection yet. They are ready for anything. We are trying to live normally here, celebrating Alexis' birthday and being with our other grandchildren, Trisa came with her 4 little girls, Raychel, Paul and Shayden came. Crystal's husband Jared joined us on Friday, and Ryan and Bridget and their 3 will come today. We are so blessed. I truly know that the Lord has not and will not abandon us or Sheila and Jordan ever, knowing this is strong and powerful.


No comments: