We live in heaven (28 I). Dad moved our bed so that when we go to sleep, we can see the moon rise -- then venus (one star) and in the morning the sun is just coming up to shine on these hills I can see between 2 buildings. At first the sky is gray and looks like it is going to be overcast, then all of a sudden the sun is completely up and they sky is blue with only a few fluffy clouds. So we live in heaven. It is the first thing we see in the morning and the last thing we see at night. We'll survive. One thing though, the sky is not a blue blue like at the ranch. It is more of a gray blue. Probably because of the ocean? We also live with a gecko. He stayed on the ceiling in our bedroom, I could sleep as long as he stays hidden, but if he's scampering around and I'm not asleep yet, now he is scampering around the house which I am OK with because I haven't seen a cockroach or ant I'm attributing it to him. I guess I should call her Liz. Because that is what we named her. I boil our water to do the dishes and rinse with filtered water. We order our drinking water and it is delicious. They bring it to you up 28 floors.
We have been working on our new assignment. Ha ha. We were given 2 stakes to cover MLS, one stake pres. assigned us to be in his high counsel over mission and another stake asked us 3 impossible tasks -- map all the members, work on PEF and rescue inactives. We are teaching tomorrow in that stake in a 5th Sunday lesson on PEF and SRS (Self Reliance and the Perpetual Education Fund). So we have been finding Elders, members, teaching a few lessons with Elders where we have been able to testify-- then President Revillo (mission President) called next paragraph. Anyway, in finding members, in the country they live in a house with no windows, 2 rooms, air, anyway, in the city they live in an alley 4 ' wide with a polluted gutter 1 1/2' wide on one side. behind an iron gate then there are 4 doors each different homes. The children sit in plastic chairs and play games beside this filthy gutter. Their laundry is done in the alley and hung above. Then a door, a very rickity stairway (I'm not sure it could hold Dad but it did). But so worth it to talk to the people inside. Elders invited us, Dad bore his testimony of service, how you loose your life to find it, and I spoke of the Savior and his life was service, spirit was strong, while a little mouse is sniffing the pot on their little propane stove. So weird but wonderful to see their life and hope. It is wonderful to tell a little 10 year old girl that she is a special child of God. One family had 4 teenage children. We could not speak other than to say good feeling to be baptized. Whole family just got baptized. A little girl no taller than Suzanne said she was 1st year College, she was in her nice pressed clean uniform. Wow.
Anyway, Pres. Revillo called yesterday. He asked us to change our calling to taking care of missionary apartments. Our life is going to change. The Schlagers were doing this and they are so busy, they don't even take P days. They are going to the office and we are taking the van and starting this. We will take care of 2/3 of the mission. All of the city. The country will be taken care of by the Johnsons. It is going to be all the ones in Binangonan, Angol, Taytay (no maps), Quezon City, Marikina, Tageig
and all of the rest --37 apartments (about) To do this we will have to have nerves of steal and a marriage like a rock! And I'm not kidding. Driving is bad enough, but not knowing where you are or where whatever it is is is a nightmare. We have been 4 hours just looking for 1 church. We can text the Elders and Sisters for help. (And the Lords) Baptism is so cool. This picture is Kristine at Tay Tay ward. Elder and her just beaming. She is 23. Family went inactive when she was 7 and did not get baptized. 
Caribow that this farmer was riding. I didn't get out the camera fast enough. He was gathering sticks on the other side of the road.San Palak church. Notice glass shards on wall to keep people out. They baptize in the swimming pool here. Here people are searching for the gospel.
Now this is how to ride in (or on) a Jeepney!
You can see the ocean to your far right if the picture downloaded right. I don't know how to get it to turn the right way. I spent lots of time rotating them.
The beauty of the Philippines! Everything's more fun in the Philippines.
Notice the sky.
1 comment:
I love the pictures!
Post a Comment